Re: (TFT) New weapon list for ranged weapons --> fine bows?

In a message dated 2/22/2003 1:25:11 AM Central Standard Time,
rsmith@lightspeed.ca writes:

>     By the way Erol, did you catch the debate
> over ramping up the long bow from about a year
> ago?

No, I missed that. In fact, in my latest revisions for Etan I'm ramping the
longbow down a nudge:

Bow               St   damage
Short bow          9    1d-1
Horse bow         10    1d
Longbow           11    1d+1
Great bow         15    1d+2
Hero's bow        22    1d+3
Giant's bow       28    2d

(For reference, a giant's broadsword (St 28) does 3d damage in my system)

I also generally allow specific weapon types to skip up or down a line or
two: E.g. a regular shortsword is a St 11 weapon, while a "heavy" shortsword
is a St 12 weapon doing 2d damage (same as a broadsword) while an "extra
light" shortsword is a St 9 weapon doing the same damage as an ordinary
rapier.

So in the case of bows, an "ordinary" longbow is St 11, but the sort of 150+
lb monster that Little John would use would be an "extra heavy" longbow,
doing 1d+3 damage (same as a "hero's bow").

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow