Re: (TFT) What about those darn elementals?

David Michael Grouchy II wrote:
What would be the positive version of this? The lightShift spell. There isn't a single positive monster in the whole game. DarkShift is pretty easy to write. Just lift the vampire rules. But there is no Ki-Rin, or gold dragon. Even the pegasus is just listed under BEASTS, Horses. This seems to be a major break with D&D. I'm not so much interested in limiting the power of the vampire, as defining its opposition. I think the reason players are willing to get their characters infected is because there is no other way to go. At least there are no positive moves that bring so much ST and power so quickly.

Well if you accept the Jacksonian philosophy, it's just a disease. It's not 'evil' or supernatural in any way, so why would there be a 'good' counterpart?

But let's assume it's a highly engineered disease, probably an attempt by a mnoren to develop some way of quickly producing super-soldiers. (This is a rather heavily-used rationale for everything, I know, but it fits the facts pretty well in this case.) Let's further assume that another mnoren needed to fight these soldiers. Might this fellow not have come up with another sort of disease to infect his own soldiers with? Perhaps one that renders them immune to vampirism, and makes their blood toxic to vampires? (And/Or a curative--bite the wrong guy, and you might lose your vampire super-powers.) I imagine it might also heighten their senses to those signs that allow Scholars a chance to recognize a vampire, giving an automatic IQ roll even without that talent. Throw in, oh, Darkvision, +2 DX, and the same damage regeneration as vampires have and you're talking some pretty capable vampire hunters. As a drawback, it perhaps makes the subject somewhat more inclined to follow orders from one's legitimate superiors in a chain of command, and you may have the makings of a militaristic, paladin-ish society of vampire-hunting warriors. Or maybe not. I don't think I would want these guys running around in my game, but these are my initial thoughts on the idea you propose. YMMV, as they say on this here internet thing.