Re: (TFT) More on Control Weather.

In a message dated 2/28/2003 5:46:34 AM Central Standard Time,
rsmith@lightspeed.ca writes:

>    The basic questions is does a GM want to
> have weather control expensive or cheap.  I am
> bothered more, by how the spell description does
> not answer a number of questions that I'm sure
> that my PC's would ask.
>
>    What happens when two weather magicians
> start asking for opposite things?  Things that
> are not directly opposed?

The weather unfolds according to the desires of the wizard who cast the spell
most recently. OTOH, I do need better rules for what happens when a second
wizard "resists" the first, rather than just casting the spell afterwards to
"put things back." That's going into version 2.

> What about 'in
> between' weather systems.
>
>    For example, I start pushing back storms
> but there are fogs, mists, drizzles, localized
> thunderstorms that don't >>quite<< reach my
> area of effect but would be raining on the
> neighboring areas.  How are they affected?

Essentially not at all.

>    Let us say that I have 3 big storms piled
> up.  I run out of fST and they all happen.  What
> happens to the weather that happened between
> those storms?

The weather that would have normally have happened between those storms was
already made to happen by the Weather Control spell. That's how the three
storms *got* "piled up" in the first place: The wizard delayed the storms by
moving the weather between them "up front" - to happen earlier, instead of
the storms.

>    Let us say the big storms are let loose
> in a dry spell.  Does my area (say 20 km radius)
> get huge rainfall while the surrounding areas
> remain dry?

Yes, except for the runoff

>    What is the _range_ of this spell?

In v2, to the horizon, or to the extent of the local natural storms &
squalls, whichever is less.

> How
> do the weather effects blend at the edges?

They feather out rapidly, but not so abruptly as to be completely unnatural.
Say, over a few dozen meters.

 >   With out knowing more about how these
> questions would be answered, I would be guessing
> when I try to set a fST cost.

Well, this spell is particularly vague because the subject, in my view, is
particularly vague. How big is a "natural" thunderstorm or a "natural" sunny
day? What is its area of effect?

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow