:(TFT) Hymenopterans Version --> Carnivores or Farmers

---------- "rsmith" <rsmith@lightspeed.ca> writes:

> I've always figured that the
>hive would depend mainly on plants, but would take meat
>when ever they could get it as meat has higher kJoules
>/ kg.
>
>	This means that if a hive has a significant amount
>of warriors killed, the farms would support it and allow
>the population to regrow.  Since there is sufficient
>food, there is no need for the warriors to go ranging,
>and this would cause them to bump into PC's less.

Rick,
     I thought of that, but I could not bring myself to let the Bugs form an agrarian society - growing crops and storing them for the winter - I wanted them to be monsters, Man hunters.  Of course this led me to the unfortunate conclusion that attrition could wipe the hive out.  And that is what happened.

>	On the other hand, the farms are a lot easier to
>find, so your players would have to go into the hive
>(or at least siege it) to finish the bugs off.  I rather
>like having my PC's having to fight their way into the
>hives themselves.

     While its true that my players never had to attack the hive, they did fight it for a long time, and DID NOT GET TO SEARCH IT FOR TREASURE.  As they didn't have a chance to devote enough time to search for it.  Since I am a notoriously ungenerous GM I take some consolation from that fact (insert evil GM lagh here), even if  my hive map was never used.

I do have to admit however, that I would have preferred an assault on the hive, torturing my players as they search a warren of twisting tunnels and blind chambers inhabited by the last 50 desperate telepathic members of a diminished hive, would have been great.  Sigh, Maybe next time.

John