rmorger@2ev1.net

From: "David Michael Grouchy II"
<david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:20:13 -0600

>All,
>   I've been filling out some lists of gestation rates for
various animals.
>I have some small data on hymenopterans.  Including some of their
>reproductive rates, and time to maturity.  Here is the dry, black
& white,
>unfinished work sheet for them.
>
>   David Michael Grouchy II
>
>order: Hymenoptera
>
>ants
>	pharaoh ant (monomorium pharaonis):
>		Pharoaoh ants progress through the following stages
>		1) progress from eggs (5-6 days)
>		2) multiple larval stages (22-24 days)
>		3) pupal stage (9-12 days)
>		4) adult ants total 38-45 days to mature
>(+4-5 days for sexual maturity)
>			females live up to 39 weeks and lay 400
eggs
>			workers only live up to 10 weeks
>	carpenter ant (camponotus pennsylvanicus):
>		new queens bite off their own wings, burrow into
wet wood,
>		 and spend the rest of their life laying eggs (15-
25 years,
>		 laying 70,000 fertilized eggs)  She lays 15-20
eggs the first year,
>		 up to 30 eggs the second.  Larval stages take 60
days to maturity.
>	Odorous house ant (Tapinoma sessile):
>		Each female in the nest lays one egg a day,
development time
>		 (egg to adult is 34-83 days)  Queens live several
years.
>	pavement ant (tetramorium caespitum):
>		queen produces 5-20 eggs per day.
>		Three larval stages takes about 40 days.
>	fire ant (wasmannia auropunctata):
>		Queen lives 2-8 years.  Egg to adult in 30 days.
Workers live 180 days.
>	argentine ant (linepithema humile):
>		  Eggs are laid in summer, egg to adult in about
74 days
>	theif ant (solenopsis molesta):
>		Like to tunnel into nests of larger ants
>		Queens lay an average of 105 eggs, egg to larvae
(16-28 days)
>		larvae to mature (21 days)\
>
>wasps
>	Symphyta: (sawfly, including some mimic wasps)
>	firyflies (family mymeridae):
>		 the smallest of all 0.5mm
>	yellow jackets ():
>		nest in ground or papery structures in trees
>	parasitica (parasitic wasp) (diapriidae cinetus,
cypripedium fasciculatum,
>diptera sciaridae):
>		Eat other insects, lay eggs in  body of victim
(basis of movie Alien).
>		embryo to larvae in about 30 days.
>		larvae mature in 40 days.
>		after 5-6 days gnaw their way out of host.
>	hornet (dolchovespula maculata):
>		queen and 200-400 infertile female workers
>		in late summer: males & reproductive females
>	spider wasps (pompilidae cryptocheilus):
>	trantula hawks (genus: pepsis):
>	chalcid wasps (perilampus hyalinus):
>	cuckoo wasp (chrysis coerulans):
>	gall wasp (antistrophus rufus):
>	potter wasps (vespidae abispa):
>	sand wasp (sphecidae bembix, sphecidae sceliphron):
>	velvet ants / cow killers (dsymutilla aureola pacifica):
>		actually a wingless wasp, they look like an ant
with a fur coat.
>bees
>	leafcutting bee (megachile rotundata):
>	honey bee (apis mellifera, apis cerana, apis
koschevnikovi, apis florea,
>		 apis andreniformis, apis andreniformis, apis
dorsata, apis laboriosa):
>		Queen can exceed 1500 eggs a day.  Egg to adult:
for queen (16 days),
>		 worker (21 days), and drone (24 days).
>		Queen lays eggs at intervals, producing colonies
of 60-80,000.
>		Life span is 2-3 years for a queen.  Drones die
after mating.
>	digger bee (southeastern bluebery: habropoda laboriosa,
>		 pacific sand dune: habropoda miserabilis,
>		 pallid bee: centris pallida):
>	mason bee (osmia lignaria, osmia cornuta, osmia
cornifrons, osmia
>ribifloris)):
>	orchid bee (euglossa apidae, eulaema apidae, exaraete
apidae):
>	sweat bee (dialictus zephrum, nomia melanderi):
>	bumble bee (bombus terrestris):
>	carpenter bee (xylocopa virginica, xylocopa pubescens,
xylocopa

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net