RE: (TFT) Hymenopteran Version --> Blinded by Science

	There was some method to his madness in
calling his hive insects Hymenopteran's.  All
most all of the hive species are hapdiploids
Hymenopterans.  (The only exception I can
think of is the termites.)  So if you were
going to pick a name for them Hymenopteran is
as good as any.  (Well, their OWN name would
be better as earth grass likely has more in
common with real hymenopteran's than any
species that evolved on another world, but I
never got the idea that Howard Thompson was
a science geek.)

	If I had a hive on an island, I like
the idea of breeding specialized units that
can swim or float better than building rafts.
They always seemed 'non technological' to me.

	How does this sound, a version of the
hymenoptera, use their bodies to make a raft
shaped skeleton.  Then they foam up with
goo that hardens into water resistant Styrofoam
stuff.  They have cup like hands for bailing,
and webbed feet for pushing the raft along.
Their heads face inside the raft so they can
breathe.

	Other bugs load on the raft and away!

	Rick