Power Levels (was Re: (TFT) Felmen)

In a message dated 3/21/2003 9:54:58 PM Central Standard Time,
johnnyboytmm@juno.com writes:

> As a player I played my share of reptile men and gargoyles in my
> youth.  (admit it, you were all munchkins once too)  Now I would be
> bored by starting a game that competent and hard to kill.  Half the
> fun of a 32 point character is that 3 farmers with clubs are a
> significant threat to you.  Deciding to enter a combat is not done
> lightly.  I would miss that tightness in my stomach when I face off
> with a hobgoblin in a dark alley if I started with 40 points, and
> stoney skin that stopped 3 hits.

Very different tastes, here. From my POV, the idea that 3 farmers with clubs
are a significant threat to a 32 pt beginning PC is one of the great *flaws*
in an otherwise near-perfect system. Half my house rules are aimed at fixing
this bug/feature.

Call me a munchkin if you must, but for me playing a character who is "that
competent and hard to kill" is the very heart of the fun of roleplaying. I
play in order to vicariously experience doing things that I cannot do, ought
not do, or dare not do  in the real world, and that's what I offer when I GM.

In my style of play, I find that 40-50 pt characters are the 'sweet spot' for
TFT heroes. For a long time I've started characters at 35 pts with very rapid
advancement to 39-40 points. With my latest rules overhaul, I'm going to just
start them out at 40 pts.

And that's for humans :-) I don't use gargoyles, but I do use lizardmen: They
start a couple of points higher (38 vs 35 in my old rules; 42 vs 40 in the
new ones) and get a few racial bennies, but need double experience to
improve.

As I said: Very different tastes.

--
Erol K. Bayburt