RE: (TFT) Gates?

--- rsmith <rsmith@lightspeed.ca> wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	In my campaign, if someone risks going thru
> a flickering gate and another 18 is rolled, then
> I have the gate fail instantly cutting the what
> ever in half.  (Or is this cannon? I don't
> remember.)  I always make this roll cackling
> evilly, with paroxysms of great disappointment,
> when an 18 is not rolled.  On one occasion, a PC
> was cut in half, and I cheated and claimed he
> rolled a 17.  And then inflicted the worst luck
> on him for the next couple sessions to make up
> for my kindness.
>
> 	Rick

It's not canonical to have gates fail in mid-use.
It's the sort of house rule that gives house rules a
bad name.  It harkens back to the days when being a
great GM required no more than a long list of traps.

I remember once a GM said gleefully, threateningly, "I
know 3000 ways to kill PCs.", patting his binder.

A Marine at the table replied, "I know 18 ways to kill
GMs.", grinning from ear to ear.  We all laughed, but
the point was made.  Neither of them had either reason
or right to do either.

And it's not fair to 'make up for' the 'kindness' of
not inflicting a rule.  Or at least, the logic escapes me.