(TFT) I have a reputation as a killer GM

I have a reputation as a killer GM. But I use it as a form of conditioning. I get everyone focusing on the same thing at the same time, so when it comes to their turn they realize everyone is actually listening to them. I find people fascinating and nothing compares to hearing someone shape the world, and then pass it along to the next player. But to get there one usually has to walk in the fire and play nothing but new characters till they catch on to the idea of Melee as a group combat game. One where positioning and maneuvering of the squad is critical, but in my sessions no table talk is allowed. So each player has to be able to figure out the right move for the whole squad, so they dont block off another characters move. I use a GM stat called Projected Death Ratio or PDR. One to One assumes two squads of five. So a PDR of 1:3 is one PC death per 3 NPC deaths, and 3:1 is three dead PCs before one Monster. I use the latter. As one player put it Oh, I get it. There are MORE of them, and they are BETTER than you are. In other words I open by attacking a party of six with eighteen hobgoblins. The hobgoblins have daggers, but engage in HTH. Once everyone is down, the standing hobgoblins grab the best dressed character and haul him off for ransom. They dont use their daggers but instead punch with the other hand. This way no one is killed and I can clean the party out of tons of their coinage. But it's only this nice if they run their squad tactics correctly. Having to buy back a party member is the best possible outcome. If anyone breaks off on their own, the spare Hobgoblins will identify him as a threat and stab him to death. But thats just one obscure tactic I use. My preferred method of the PDR is 5:4. Five PCs vs. four Monsters. The PCs have to be able to survive a round of hits. Well tuned squads can usually take this in two turns flat. But I have seen hardened squads take 5:18 in one turn. How is that possible? Two 7-hex dragons, and two young 2-hex ones. Of course I have found that ST weights the ratios better, so an octopi and a giant are counted as 2, and 2.5 respectively. In conclusion I present the method used when my players finally figured out how to dig in and roll over my campaign. The hardened squad.

      Dwarf wall        Dwarf Wall
       Armor 8           armor 8

Polearm          Polearm            Polearm

        Wizard           Archer

By positioning themselves right they can usually inflict at least three attacks vs. the two hexes in front of the dwarves. This is the Projected Attack Ratio or PAR. Which reads the other way, in this case 3:2. This formation can also reach 5:2, five attacks vs. reciving a possible two, which is a great way to win every round vs. tons of waves. The players have really gotten pumped up when they realized they could take all fifty of the charging hobgoblins because they received them through a narrow spot. After a while the hobgoblins start failing their DX rolls trying to attack while stepping over so many of their felow hoard memebers.

  David Michael Grouchy II