     "Industrial Magic"

From: John J Hyland <johnnyboytmm@juno.com>

	I have to comment here that there's some basis for
this in the TFT system. AW claims (pg. 3) that only 1 in
300 persons on Cidri will be Wizards. That sure doesn't
match the ratio in any party I've ever seen.

[snip]

3) Expense - Anyone with a mule and a cart can try his
hand at trade/commerce, and if he is good at it can grow
his business over time - low barriers to entry.  To set
up a gate nexus you need a bunch of resources up front
to hire wizards to establish and later maintain the
gates, and a bunch of far flung trading contacts so most
trade is not carried on this way.

John,
Interesting point. But it gives me a clear picture of the group that could do it. The wizard's guild. Just make the requirement for a branch office, or satalite lab, that it have a gate to the main hall. They could have an all-moot once a month. That's when they do expensive wizard trading. Time for items. Sometimes you need thirty two IQ 14 wizards for a sword upgrade. I remember an in depth thread about "why are there guilds at all/ what use are they?" A mule, a cart, and the old wizard, to go set up a new guild hall. So the building a wizard lab traditionaly cost 10,000 TFT all the way back to "The First Fantasy Campaign". I guess this building, by definition would be a gate receiving/control point. The wizard's guild is the biggest gate controling network on the planet.

  David Michael Grouchy II