Re: (TFT) Too simple / not as simple or elegant... Survey

Does right:
- basic statistics for creatures/characters
- basic overall game mechanics (though Ty will rightly dispute the
statistics behind the 3d6 bell curve)
- overall does well in keeping game fast and playable. In this regard, best
system ever bar none.

Oversimplifies:
- many combat details. Note that it is not always so much oversimplification
as a matter of wrongsimplification. I would not recommend seriously any
changes that are a wild break from canon (such as a penetration stat for
weapons, or allowing swords two attacks per turn given sufficient adjDX, all
have precedent in the rules) but make changes to better reflect the flow and
ebb of real battle without going to the real world of swords being totally
useless against armour, etc. I have some ideas, but nothing I should like to
post just yet
- monster and creature descriptions. Many creatures are oversimplified, some
to the point of silliness (i.e. dinosaurs fall under the category of Giant
Insects and other crawlies - Lizards with the single line of "If it's any
bigger, it's a DINOSAUR, and will eat ANYTHING." I would not consider this a
terribly useful observation... Perhaps the space wasted on such useless
entries as "Prootwaddles" and "Children" might have been better used to give
a bit more on those behemoths that dominated the world for so many eons.)
Others lack even basic real world details as to how they hunt (singly or in
packs) or if they ambush, etc. Not that this has to be a Nat'n Geographic
documentary, but a little more info would not hurt. And Demons are just
boring compared to D&D (not to extol this system, but you gotta admit their
critters are far more numerous and colourful, not to mention better
described and depicted).
- Jobs. I like the idea and many aspects of it overall, but it still bugs me
a bit. Can't even explain precisely why, just don't like it.
- The actual game world of Cidri. A little more background on the world in
general and Elyntia and particular might have helped TFT establish more of a
following. Bigger and better maps, along with some additional details, would
have been really nice.

Inelegant: (note - I don't find anything terribly complex, but some things
are handled badly)
- HTH and unarmed damage, in general
- The fact that talents have prerequisites and spells do not. This is one
area where GURPS has the right, if overcomplicated, approach. I suspect,
though, that the reason for this is because Wizard was writ in stone before
the talent rules were developed. Had SJ been able to, I think he might have
done this.
- Some spells are rather jarring in their effects. Open Tunnel, for one. For
an IQ 13 spell that only costs 10 ST to cast you can obliterate most
opponents (yes, they get a 4/DX save, but that's a little difficult) This
spell is more like Phaser Set to Kill and at least should be higher IQ. Or
toned down (perhaps only a 3/DX save required to avoid effects).
- Movement in combat is a little clunky. Doesn't bother me, but I do like
the idea that someone posted awhile back about having action points (along
the lines of Starleader: Assault).
- Magic item creation. Don't like it for reasons already brought up
recently. Do like the idea of paying experience points to create an item - a
good idea that 3rd Edition D&D adopted.

I exceeded my quota in a couple areas - don't shoot me, please!