Re: (TFT) Too simple / not as simple or elegant... Survey

> A lot depends on whether one wants a "realistic" combat system or a
> "cinematic" or "epic" combat system. I suspect that many on this list like
> TFT because of it's inherent deadliness, whereas I consider that a flaw in
an
> otherwise great system.

Eh... not really what I was driving at. Thinking more about considerations
like shields deflecting blows, rather than absorbing damage, and other
oddities of the system. I'd like both realism and the ability to allow for
"epic" sorts of combat. But I do like the possibility of even a weakling
beating the Player's Answer to Conan when the latter does something very
stupid. Never did like the D&D ubermensch that was unbeatable by anything
short of a tac nuke - that's not epic, that's a boring dice rolling
exercise. While TFT is too deadly, it has the right general approach -
experienced characters are powerful but not invincible.

> > - The fact that talents have prerequisites and spells do not. This is
one
> > area where GURPS has the right, if overcomplicated, approach. I suspect,
> > though, that the reason for this is because Wizard was writ in stone
before
> > the talent rules were developed. Had SJ been able to, I think he might
have
> > done this.
>
> This is a point where I think that TFT got it right and GURPS got it
wrong. I
> *hated* the way GURPS magic locked in all those spell prerequisites. I
know
> why SJ did it, but I still hated it. IMHO prerequisites for talents in TFT
> make some sense, but for spells? bleah!

I consider spells to be sorcerous skills, so I like the GURPS approach. I
think it... odd... that a wizard just learns as if by osmosis an advanced
spell (assuming he has the IQ) without ever learning any other related
magic. Just like learning quantum physics without ever taking any algebra or
higher math...

Really not hard over on it, I just consider it a consistency issue is all.