Re: (TFT) Too simple / not as simple or elegant... Survey

From: "rsmith" <rsmith@lightspeed.ca>

	I would be interested in all of your opinions to these
questions:

- What are the top 3 things that TFT does right.

Cumulative spells: 7-hex fire includes, 3-hex, 1-hex, torch lighting, cigar lighting, beard lighting.

Remaining in the first edition for so long. The worst thing that usually happens to a system is one of the original designers decides to re-do, update, or advance it in some way. There are so many diverse sets of house rules here subtly balanced to there setting, but we all understand them precisely because we have the common language of the original rules set.

  Fastest set-up, to kill, to gaining a character point.  Of all time.

- What are the top 3 things that TFT OVER SIMPLIFIES.

Character sheets. The game is genius at fitting on an index card. And still providing a full range of diferentiation.

Enchanted weapon descriptions. A flaming great sword with mage sight. Or, an invisible mage sight cloak of DX+5. These sumations speak volumes to me as I consider the cumulative ingredients that went into making them.

The passage of time. It's true. I saw them. Three players once worked sixteen concecutive years. They kept dying. But they were actually having fun. Till they started getting old. But son of a gun if they didn't do quite well on their quests, starting out with so many points and all.

- What are the top 3 things that TFT does in a TOO COMPLICATED WAY.

Allowing player input. TFT is excellent in giving players countless ways to express their characters. So many that I don't think they can be exhausted in their various combinations.

Putting resposibilities on the GM. ITL is full of tons of sound advice and direction for the GM. Including layered interaction with the characters, through Active Talents like Alertness, and secret GM rolls on behalf of the characters. Much better than Guy Gax's meandering authority.

multiple characters for each player in one huge melee. TFT rules this area. No other system can handle so many complications so quickly.

  David Michael Grouchy II