Re: (TFT) Too simple / not as simple or elegant... Survey

> > PS suppose a multi-hex figure performs a "sweeping blow"?
> > Suppose Agrelgar gets UC4 -> Eyes Behind and does it? How
> > the heck many targets could he strike at at once? Of course,
> > he'd miss most of them.
>
> Good point, but I think this is less of a problem then may seem the
> case. For a dragon, I would rule that you have to be adjacent to the
> claw in question to be targeted.

Are you suggesting that if a dragon uses his right front claw to
sweep, that he can't sweep into his left front hex?   Why couldnt
the dragon use BOTH claws?  The combat round is long enough
for it to do so.

TFT makes no such distinction for multi-hex creatures - take a
giant and his large number of front hexes.  Sure, your typical
TFT giant performing a sweeping blow would be almost comical
as the DX adjustment makes it practically impossible for him to
hit a target.  But there's nothing that says that he CANT do it.

> So a 14 hex dragon cannot "sweep" his entire side... I have to
> concede that I had not considered the possibility of multihex
> creatures, especially ones of great ST.

Again, the length of a combat round is a consideration.  I suppose
it might be possible for a dragon to sweep along its entire side
using a front leg and then a back one.

> Part of my thought in having the "progressive" to hit penalty was
> to reflect hitting multiple creatures and losing some momentum.
> In the case of a giant with some sort of giant sized sword, I could
> visualise something more along the lines of Sauron in the opening
> sequences of Fellowship of the Ring. I'll have to think on this some
> more.

This was exactly my point - momentum reduction.  Considering all
attacks a graze simply doesn't cut it for me.  And what about blunt
weapons, like a club or a hammer?  TFT says that in order to make
a sweeping blow, the attacker must be using a two-handed cutting
weapon.  But I dont think that this tracks either.  A figure with a two
handed club or hammer should be allowed to make a sweeping
blow, but stop as soon as someone is hit.  This would give him an
opportunity to attack everyone in his front hexes, albeit at a DX
minus.

Dan