Re: (TFT) More on Sweeping blows.

Dan Tulloh wrote:
How about this:  A sweeping blow can be made at whatever DX
minuses you think applicable ( -4 against each target, as per canon or Charles' progression scheme: -2, -4, -6 ). Rather than rolling separate damage rolls against each target however, damage is rolled only once. The attacking player makes all of his to-hit rolls, noting which targets were hit. If at least one target
is hit, he makes a single damage roll and allocates the damage
against each target that was hit as he desires.

Any better?

Sure. In terms of the math, it's very close to another way I was thinking of - make one full damage roll, but whatever damage you don't 'spend' killing the first target can 'blow through' to the next one. Of course, your method gives the attacker more flexibility. Either way, however, limits the total damage output a bit more than the way it is now (assuming three targets are being attacked).

I don't really have a problem with sweeping blow as it is now (with a flat -4 or with the progressive DX penalties). It's a very nice bonus, and perhaps justified in terms of game balance (fighters vs. wizards). I don't know that it needs cut down in power, I'm just not sure about the slicing-through rationale. But either way is surely workable.

Hm, if 1 pt specialized attack talents like double-entendre were made available, that might be sufficient game-balance reason to justify toning it down slightly. I suppose that an 'Improved Sweeping Blow' talent might be feasible too.