From: tft-owner@brainiac.com [mailto:tft-owner@brainiac.com]On Behalf Of
Ed Thorn
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 7:25 PM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: (TFT) re: fine bows. -> Thorn after Stan

--- Stan <srydzews@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> As far as game balance...it seems to me that bows
> are a bit weak, everyone (IMC)
> prefers light crossbows.  So I don't see a problem
> with it, might make bows more
> attractive to high DX figures.

Seconded.

>  Of course, I
> wouldn't be so keen on adding it
> for crossbows--in my campaign it would just make the
> current weapon of choice
> even better.

Seconded.

> As to 'better bow = more damage'...well, true, but
> if the armorer does make it
> out of extra tough wood it will be harder to draw ->
> higher ST weapon.  In my
> opinion the TFT 'table of bigger and bigger weapons'
> approach makes more sense
> for bows than for HTH weapons.

Gotta disagree here.  Bow damage is logically derived
from the speed a bow projects an arrow at, the 'muzzle
velocity' if you will.  It runs against common sense,
but it is simply not true that a stronger bow will
launch a projectile at a faster speed.  It's just not
that simple.  The bow's length and the stiffness of
the limbs and the the weight and stiffness of the
arrow are all factors.

>From my understanding of the factors, I would say that
a bow might add to DX (well-balanced limbs, supple
draw, perfect fit to a user's draw and ST), or Damage
(more weight of draw coupled with a heavy arrow,
smooth release - different from supple draw - coupled
with a stiffer arrow).  An arrow might also add to DX
(stiffer is better, the arrow's balance overall, the
perfection of the fletching) or to Damage (the
broadhead's edge, the arrow's stiffness).