RE: (TFT) Priests again

Hi Robert,
	I think that your rules would not greatly
upset the game.  Go for them if you like them.

	I have taken a different course.  Each god
can give holy rites to whom ever the god pleases
(usually his / her priests).  Each rite is a
unique special ability crafted for that player,
and designed to increase roleplaying possibilities.

	Since every religion has its own 'family' of
rites (if the GM comes up with a nice rite, it
tends to get reused with modifications thru out
that religion), priest vary widely from religion
to religion.

	I tend to be pretty parsimonious about rites
but try to allow any priest to earn one fairly
early and any theologian to earn another.  Getting
more requires being godly and meriting the notice
of a god or its divine beings.

	Some rites are HUGELY powerful, and are
called miracles.  These are not powered by the PC's
fatigue, sacrifices of blood, temporary losses of
attributes etc, they are powered by the god or his
or her divine beings themselves.  Getting a
miracle style rite is a mixed blessing.  If it
comes off when you need it things are very sweet.
However, since it is powered by other beings, it
is not an 'on command' type thing.

	With the more powerful rites, priests will
do long elaborate rituals with lots of worshippers
to try to attract divine attention before trying
to do the rite.

	I like this system because creative GM's
can do some wild and wonderful things.  Also when
an enemy priest shows up, there is an uneasiness
with PC's because they have NO IDEA what his rites
might do.

	Also, since the rites are divine gifts, they
can change / mutate / be withdrawn at the whim of
the god.  So even PC's do not know what their own
rites will do sometimes.

	My friend Matt Fraser has posted more
mechanical rules for religion on the website
adapted from D&D.  You might like to search the
archives for his work.

	Rick