(TFT) SOLO III, 021

Solo III
Demon World
Part 021

Children start coming in, breakfast is prepaired, and the mood warms up. They seem innocent and happy. Chatting and paying attention to one another. You sitting there having breakfast with them at one of the tables is taken as a good sign. The room seems to reorganize itself, with everyone trying to sit as close to you as possible. They babble on contentedly while eating. There are many more girls than boys. It occurs to you that boys may be more prone to run away, and you seem to think you have rescued just as many of both. But this is all that's left. When breakfast is over they all stop talking and sit up. Gail is looking over them like an expectant school teacher. Rebecca whispers to you "normally I would lead them in exercises now, and then Gail would start classes. But since you are here, maybe you should say something." You rise and walk to the kitchen. Every eye follows. You turn and face them all. Just looking for a moment. All the little faces. Expectant. Almost holding their breath. The hope of the world gathered into one small room. "This day, we are going to start something different. We are going to bring out the astral carpet and set it up here. Gail and I will sit on it with each one of you in turn. And we are going to visit your parents."
    There is an audible gasp in the room.
"They won't be able to see you. And they won't be able to hear you. But for a few minutes you will be able to check on them. One day we are going to beat all the demons. And I want you to remember that there are people who still love you. Besides, we have been down here long enough without seeing the stars and the sunshine again."
    You turn and look to Gail.  "Gail."
She stands and starts organizing the children. Rebecca goes to fetch the carpet. Ada clears a space on the floor for it. When Rebecca returns you look over the children. Gail takes the youngest one by the hand and walks over to you. "Uncle" She says "This is Regonald." And the three of you sit down on the carpet.

David Michael Grouchy II