Re: (TFT) Question to list on contests. --> 3d6 + att.

rsmith writes:
2) Both sides roll 3vsAtt as above.
    winner of contest determined by margin of die rolls

Hmmmm ... method 2 might be the most realistic of resolution though.
However, you might try att + 3d6.    Player A rolls 3d6 and adds the
total to their attribute score, Player B does the same.  Highest total
wins the contest.  This gives lower attribute characters a chance in a
contest with high attribute characters - and should work well for contests between high attribute characters as well.

Wouldn't your method give the exactly same results as method 2?

No.  First, method 2 requires that both players roll a value
less than their attribute score in order to have a chance of
winning.  This greatly hampers the chances of success with a
lower attribute.  The 'plus' method does not require this.
Also, it is impossible for players with low attribute scores
to beat their score by a great margin.  (ie, the most an attr.
6 character can beat his roll by is 3)
Im too hosed this early in the AM to do the math, but I'd be
happy to take a crack at it later.  One other benefit is that
is that the odds of one player beating another with the same
attribute score is 50% - and the contest can be conducted in
ONE die roll (most of the time).
Going against the TFT meta-rules does not bother me greatly.
As we all know, TFT is broken for high attribute characters.
Personally, Im against allowing characters to raise their
attribute scores with experience and favor a skill-based
system instead.  Something along the same lines as GURPS but
different - I dont like this idea of having to beat your
attribute score first. Dan =====