Re: (TFT) Healing spells in TFT.

In a message dated 9/4/2003 2:04:46 AM Central Daylight Time, pvk@oz.net
writes:

> I hope I didn't give the impression I was saying my own tastes were right
> for everyone. I was just discussing the question I quoted, which asked what

> other people did for healing rules in their games.

Likewise, I'm sorry if I seemed to jump on you. I get testy, sometimes,
because I feel like the only list member who considers the relatively high
lethality of TFT combat to be a bug in an otherwise excellent system, rather than one
of the features that make it excellent.

A number of my house rules are aimed at reducing the lethality of the system:
Not just the increased rates of healing, but also my parrying rules, my
"Toughness" talent (which replaces Warrior/Veteran), and even my rules for
characters being knocked down when they take large amounts of damage.

As one of my players once pointed out, the munchkin complaint about GURPS
("Munchkins: Think there aren't enough hit points" applies even more strongly to
TFT, and occasionally even munchkins have a point. (Or to put it another way,
everyone has a bit of munchkinism in them, at least one point where they'll
agree with the munchkin view in the "real men, real roleplayers, loonies, and
munchkins" lists.)

(An expanded version of one such list that I contributed to can be found on
http://www.io.com/~angilas/soapvox.html, along with a few other contributions I
made before getting my own web site.)

--
Erol K. Bayburt