Re: (TFT) Attributes of legendary status - question for the list

In a message dated 9/5/2003 1:14:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
johnnyboytmm@juno.com writes:

> ----------- ErolB1@aol.com wrote:----------------------
> It may also be a matter of scale: My game simply doesn't produce St 25
> dwarves. Characters of 50+ points are of legendary scale - the Robin Hoods
and
> Conans of the world,
> Just for the record, "pete the Brick" started as a 32 pt character like
everybody else.
> And over the course of a couple of years earned the exp to become a 48 pt
character
> (st25, Dx14, IQ9) he just put most of his points in St.  I don't know if
I'd call them
> legend, but the party did achieve some renown.

OK, this is something that could theoretically happen in Etan, but doesn't as
a practical matter. IQ was the highest-priority attribute back when I was
GMing a lot, followed by Dx. But even IQ never got above 22-23 in even the most
advanced characters. Other than giants and npc-monsters, the highest St scores
were a St 16 PC and a St 20 NPC.

Since then I've added some house rules to make St more useful, and less the
ignored attribute. But I still don't expect St scores much if any above St 20.

> My question for the list is this:
>
> Do you place an upper limit on the attribute scores of your players?

No upper limit, other than the attribute total not rising above 50-60 for
even the most powerful characters. But "balanced" attributes are so useful IMC
that scores rarely rise above 20.

--
Erol K. Bayburt
ErolB1@aol.com