Re: (TFT) Re: Healing spells in TFT

In a message dated 9/7/2003 12:41:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com writes:

>     But this is exactly what players don't want to hear from their GM in a
> fantasy game.  Something quick and disposeable.  A bandage wrap, a fatigue
> point, or a potion.  "The bar tender grins, pours a strong one, and offers
> it to the character.  'Here.  This will wash the blood right off.'  He
> says."  Fantasy role players do not make their character's bathe.  They are

> wholly unsanitary creatures and if they ever took their armor off they
would
> probably find their skin stuck to it.

IME, it's more a matter of not wanting to play those details out, any more
than they particularly want to detail playing out sharpening their weapons,
going behind a bush to relieve themselves, or chewing their food before they
swallow it. And a GM who pushes playing out such details is often seen as an
@$$hole GM. "No, dammit, we aren't caked with dried blood when we swagger into the
bar. Cleaning the blood off is SOP after a battle, and so is giving ourselves a
quick washup in a nearby stream when we break camp. If we have to go to the
bother of *mentioning* all those details, all the time, we'll slow the game to
a petrified crawl."

As a player, I'll only mention the especially luxurious or otherwise unusual
baths my character takes. E.g. in the last D&D game I was in, Edgar Ironpelt
(ranger/fighter) made a beeline to a recommended inn when he arrived at
Greyhawk city. He left his chainmail, greatsword, and crossbow in his room, bathed,
and afterwards knocked about town in ordinary clothes plus shortsword & dagger.

OTOH (and this is evidence for your position) the other players made a number
of cracks about "Town Edgar" vs "Wilderness Edgar" - they stayed in armor,
kept all their weapons with them, and treated the city much like another stretch
of wilderness (or a dungeon).

--
Erol K. Bayburt
ErolB1@aol.com