Re: (TFT) Hedge Wizardy and industrial magic

In a message dated 9/19/2003 8:26:06 AM Central Daylight Time,
srydzews@ix.netcom.com writes:

> From: ErolB1@aol.com
> > I can't use this line of argument for my own campaign since I've made
> wizards
> > somewhat more common (1 per 100-200, rather than 1 per 300), *and* I've
> > reduced the IQ requirement of Lesser Magic Item to IQ 15.
>
> Well then it's hardly surprising that there are more Light items around than
> would otherwise be the case.  If this supposed proliferation of Light items
> annoys you, why not just raise their price?

That's what I'll likely end up doing. But with my less-uncommon magic, it's
harder to justify a price hike, in terms of how magic works in the game world,
than it would be if I used the "wizards and magic items are rare" model.

Perhaps only flawless gems of a certain sort can hold the light enchantment
on a
> permanent basis, so add 1000 to the base cost.  If you're willing to change
> spells' IQ ratings surely tinkering with magic item prices is hardly out of
> the question.

I think what I'll do is raise the price to $3500 or so, increase the time &
ingredient cost required - and rule that Light enchantments are exempt from the
Rule of Five. The exemption would then justify the price boost, in terms of
the game-world logic of magic.

(There are a handful of other "set the item down and it continues to work"
enchantments that also might be given this exemption - how would you apply the
Rule of Five to, say, a Sticky Floor enchantment that you activated last year
and left in your wizard's tower while you visit a city a hundred km away?)

--
Erol K. Bayburt
ErolB1@aol.com