Re: (TFT) Shield rush in Melee

> Only one hex though, right?  And it doesn't force the guy to fall down or
> go to one knee.  I know about falling down due to reactions to injury, but
> that is a reaction to INJURY, not to being HIT.  The idea I was trying to
> get at was that if I am hit for 9 points of damage, there should be some
> effect, even if my armor absorbs it all.
> =====
> "unsubscribe tft"

Oh, I know what you are trying to accomplish, I'm just saying that in
practical terms there isn't enough momentum to knock you back or down. And I
do not think a mere (?!?) 8 points is sufficient to do it.

My fear is that any damage sufficient to knock someone back would probably
be more than enough to splatter them outright, making the whole subject
academic.

Note also that experiments have been done with folks wearing heavy body
armour (NIJ level 3 and 4 stuff) and had assistents fire .30 caliber RIFLES
point blank into their chests, whilst standing on one foot! Far from being
knocked back or down, the impact scarcely perturbed their balance!

I know that sounds a little crazy, and I was surprised when I read it. My
suspicion (without taking any additional time to check) is that the
momentum, rather than kinetic energy, is what is important, here. Obviously
the K.E. out of a .30-06 or 7.62 NATO is something to behold, but since
momentum is just mass x velocity, and the bullet's mass is a mere fraction
of an ounce, you probably don't get more than 10 or so pounds of "push" from
the impact.

However, since a sword/club/mace/whatever is going to have a LOT more mass
(most swords are from 2-4 lbs, on average) and I don't know how the
wielder's body interacts with all of this, some sort of push or knock back
might make sense, but I would not know how to calculate it offhand.

I would be curious, though, if any studies have been done as to the
momentum, etc. of sword swings, punches, etc. Or at least some sort of
velocity measurement.