Re: (TFT) Shield rush in Melee

In a message dated 11/22/2003 11:53:59 AM Central Standard Time,
cgadda@earthlink.net writes:

> Well, only if you maintain the current canon rules. In the rewrite I'm
> putzing with I have eliminated the bare handed damage rules altogether - I
> simply treat a punch or kick as another weapon, which can be adjusted by
> having "higher" ST.

My own unarmed damage rules have the same effect: An unarmed attack can be
thought of as a St 1 weapon that does 1d-5 damage, and that gets the usual
(under my rules) +1 damage per +4 St.

> Part of the reason I did this was to eliminate having
> this wholly separate mechanic, which is clumsy. Agree with the rest of your
> statement, though +1/+4 added ST might be too punative.

I agree that it *looks* punitive, but I've concluded that this "punitive"
rate is needed to keep damage values from blowing up at high St values. (And my
rule is even more "punitive" above St 20 - +1 damage per *8* St above St 20,
and +1 per *12* St above St 30).

I've concluded that +1 damage per +1 required St in a weapon-series is overly
*generous*, and not something that can be kept up over a wide range of St
scores. "Normal" advancement, outside a weapon-series "sweet spot" should be
something like +1 damage per +2 or +3 required St, which means that increased
damage due to wielders high St alone should be on an even shallower slope - like
+1 per +4 St.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow