Re: (TFT) Spellcasting, Fatigue, Wounds and Arrows

In a message dated 11/24/2003 8:27:56 AM Central Standard Time,
srydzews@ix.netcom.com writes:

> Regarding the arrowheads vs. wizards stuff: So how much iron does it take
> to give a wizard a penalty?  If I just throw a handful of iron filings at
someone
> the filings will get in his hair, stick to his clothes, a few will fall in
his pockets,
> etc.  it will take forever to find and get rid of every single filing.  Is
this enough
> to give a penalty?

I don't think there is an "official" ruling on this. My own house rule is
that the wizard suffers -1 Dx per 10 grams of iron, up to the maximum of -4 Dx
for 40+ grams. And as it turns out, an arrowhead is typically about 10 grams...

(Arrowhead weights are measured in grains, with "traditional" style hunting
broadheads typically having a weight of 125-175 grains. As 1 gram = 15.4
grains, this works out to 10 grams per arrowhead, give or take a gram or two.)

I also rule that the iron affects the wizard if it's *in the wizard's hex.* A
wizard can cast spells on an iron clad opponent in an adjacent hex with no
penalty, but if the opponent enters HTH combat, the wizard suffers the Dx
penalty for iron as well as that for casting spells in HTH combat.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow