Re: (TFT) Wizard Scans

From: Nocstar <shepherd93@insightbb.com>

In our group the presence of iron question led to a bigger question that we have yet to adequately resolve. First some definitions are in order.

Nice juicy set of traditions for your campaign there. I enjoyed the examples of the wizard scanning the room. For the sake of argument I'm going to pretend my campaign works the same way, and add my comments to the debate in that context.

Now the questions.
 Can a wizard sense the presence of another wizard or magic user:
	in a crowded tavern
	on a busy city street
	around the corner in a dungeon?

I would say by line of sight only. Not around a corner. In fact even a curtain should be enough to block scaning. As to the busy street I think it should be easier because the wizard will stand out more in contrast to their surroundings. Like a guy in a tuxedo among a crowd of construction workers.

Can a wizard sense a magic-user at all?

I really don't think so. Not with out a detect enemies spell (if appropriate) or new version of the detect life spell. I realize this seems to disagree with my comments above. Let me elaborate a moment. My feeling on scanning, as described in the example of the young IQ 10 wizard entering the tavern and scaning the room, is that the aura "detected" is more like getting a first impression of someone's personality by their body language and details of dress. Sort of like Surlock Holms noticing if someone had tell tail calouses on their fingers indicating that they did a lot of writting. Or put another way, I don't think a wizard can scan actively to detect a spell, without casting detect magic. By extension they shouldn't be able passively notice a spell going off unless it is obvious due to casting rutuals or the big flash of the spell going off. Hence actually scaning someone to be a wizard stikes me as more a judgement on their personality. The wizard is scaning the room for people who lead the "wizardly lifestyle."

Can a wizard cloak his presence from other wizards who might be trying to sense him.

A big yes! In two specific cases. Either with the disquise talent, or if the wizard has a glamor cast on them. The only chance to scan someone successfully in these cases should require a wizard with at least IQ 16 (the IQ needed for sorceror's toung) who engages the character in conversation.

What should critical successes reveal? Right now a 4 reveals the target's IQ and a 3 the IQ and ST.

In addition a 4 could reveal what the character has as a studied talent/spell. And a 3 could reveal if the character is apprenticed to any one, and if so... the IQ of their master.

    David Michael Grouchy II