Re: (TFT) Spellcasting, Fatigue, Wounds and Arrows

>As a GM, I would not allow the iron filings trick unless it
>was a LARGE amount. We always assumed a quantity equal to
>one coin or one ring. This caused problems for wizards when
>they found magic rings made of iron. We also felt a wizard
>would know immediately if he had iron on his person. This
>came up when a thief tried a reverse pickpocket to plant an
>iron ring on a wizard. Talk about debate!

   The iron filings trick is clever.
   I'd say my threshold on iron mass is a small pin or needle, or its
equivalent.  Anything less would count as a trace amount, and could
and should be ignored.

>Only for iron. (Technically, IMC, only for ferromagnetic
>materials. In my campaign world of Etan, "silver" weapons
>are actually stainless steel - an alchemical variant of
>stainless steel that uses silver instead of chromium. It
>resists corrosion, magnets don't stick to it, and it doesn't
>inhibit spellcasting.)

   I like this silver weapon rationalization a lot!

>Upping the damage for the rapier is a good idea, but going
>1d+1 rather than 2d-3 might be a better route, considering
>that the rapier does damage differently than most swords
>(thrusting rather than shearing)

   This is exactly what I did for my campaign -- increased rapier
damage to 1+1.
   The knife table (from /Interplay/) also underwent a revision, with
dirks made the largest knife (2-3 damage) and the poniard (a small
triangle-bladed knife; /not/ a fencing sword) given a big demotion.

>   In my experience wizards are utterly helpless without
>body guards.

   No, /Marious/ (David's goblin wizard character in Thail) is utterly
helpless without bodyguards, and even with them he still runs to the
front line to get badly injured!  :^)

Adieu, Chasseur mon ami