Re: (TFT) Overland Travel --> Real data. !!!

Rick,

     The formula seems pretty clear to me ... but maybe that's because
     I'm a mathematician.    Let me take a crack at explaining it ...
     ( This equation is laid out in the pdf as well )

     T = t + a + d
          t = time required to march a given map distance.
                 this has got to be the simple t = distance / rate formula
                 if I walk 8 miles at 4 miles per hour, it takes 2 hours.
         a = total ascent in feet / 1000
                If I am marching uphill, it takes more time.    The units on
the
                factor of 1000 are unclear ... dunno if that is feet / min,
feet
                per hour, etc.   I will assume feet per hour.
         d = total descent in feet / 1500
                If I am marching downhill, gravity speeds my descent

     Now, to be fair, these ascent and descent factors should NOT be the
     final figures, but the totals of the increments.    For example,
suppose
     I start out at MSL ... hike up one side of a 3000 foot mountain and
     then down the other side.     And lets suppose the map distance is
     2 miles.

          T  =  t + a + d
              = ( 2 miles / 4 miles / hour )  + ( 3000 feet / 1000 feet /
hour ) +
                            ( 3000 / 1500 feet / hour )
              = 0.5 hours + 3 hours + 2 hours = 5.5 hours

     Anyway, thats how I see it.

Dan