Re: (TFT) Hex map

>      So I hit on the zen method of mega hexes

David--

"And yea and verily I say unto you cast off the vile, evil megahexes.
Send them back to the abyss where they belong. See the true light of
megahexless Melee"

I haven't used megahexes for melee for many, many years now. The only
purpose they serve is to measure bow range and to place/cast certain
spells. And they make it impossible to draw a square room that contains
complete megahexes. All rooms are "slanted" due to the shape of the
megahexes. Plus it just looks weird to me to have these darker lines all
over the place. Range also depends on where a figure is actually
standing within the megahex and can vary accordingly. So I just do
without them.

Here's how to measure range without megahexes: Since a megahex is 3
hexes wide in all directions it's a simple matter to count bow ranges
like this: The first 6 hexes are no DX adjustment, the next 6 hexes are
at a -1 DX, the next 6 are at a -2 DX and so on. I play with miniatures
on hex terrain boards with pits modeled in so I constantly need to
establish range where no hexes are present. It was a simple matter to
create a long piece of string measured against my hex board. I simple
marked the string every 6 hexes. Now when I need to determine range I
put the string over the figure and stretch it tight to the target. Not
only does this give me the range it also easily shows me if I need to
roll to miss any intervening figures. Of course where I can I just count
the hexes.

As for spells you simple cast toward a particular hex and the megahex
effect takes place in the 6 hexes around the target hex. It's not very
hard to visualize.

Using this method I think my melee maps look a lot better. I've created
everything from grassy fields using model railroad grass complete with
textured roads to cracked, stone floor dungeons. If I had tried to
incorporate megahexs in my set ups I don't believe I could have pulled
them off as well.

Hope you find this interesting. Looking forward to any comments,
--David O. Miller