Re: (TFT) Pentagrams and gates?

In a message dated 2/14/2004 12:58:03 PM Central Standard Time, pvk@oz.net
writes:

> Ah, I hadn't realized the obvious tactic er, for magical beings that want
> to be able to escape a pentagram they somehow get inside of... having a 1/2

> gate somewhere safe, that they can "just" cast Create Gate at their new
> location...

My first thought is that if a creature is powerful enough to pull 50 St out
of his pocket, he *ought* to be able to escape a Pentagram by casting Create
Gate that way. I suppose a Greater Demon could do it, and a Lesser Demon might,
just barely, be able to if given a bit of help.

By my way of thinking, that's a huge amount of St, and I have a hard time
getting my head around campaign styles where that kind of St can routinely be
scraped up "on the fly" as it were.

Anyway, a requirement that both ends of the Gate be in pentagrams would crimp
that trick: The magical being could escape, but then would be stuck in a
pentagram at the other end.

> Also, it occurred to me this morning, that like Ed just suggested, it might

> be good if the sequence were the deciding factor. I was thinking that a
> gate might work through a pentagram, but only if the pentagram were
> activated after the gate were created.

My ruling would be that the Gate collapses instantly if one end is in an
active Pentagram and the other isn't. (Hm. This means that Gates can be destroyed
by putting a normal "temporary" pentagram around one end. This might not be
such a bad thing...) I wouldn't worry about order of casting, as long as both
pentagrams were in place and active when the second end of the Gate is created.

Although other rulings would "work" - as you say, it's as much a matter of
aesthetics as anything else.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow