Re: (TFT) Turbo-destriers?

At 12:14 PM 2/16/04 -0600, Mark Tapley wrote:
        Can a warhorse (in barding, Expert Horseman knight riding) ...

a) ... take advantage of a Speed Movement spell (cast, presumably, by a nearby wizard) to get twice the MA? (Maybe double-strength spell version?)

Yes, but requires double-strength version, and unless the horse is trained to use it, the GM might rule there is a good chance horse may panic (panic check) and/or lose its balance (3/DX roll) or be generally confused, and/or only think it can move so fast anyway (2/IQ roll), and so only actually use up to its usual MA, or up to its unencumbered MA.

b) ... gain +4 MA by drinking a Speed Movement potion (or two)? (Of course, you can lead a horse to a potion trough....)

You'd have to ask an alchemist/veterinarian, or someone who'd gotten a horse to drink such a potion. Might require a special recipe to work on horses, and I would expect to need a double dose or more. Getting the horse to drink and take advantage of the potion might require training (involving using a bunch of such potions...).

c) ... use a double-size Speed Movement magic item?

I think it would probably be even harder (or near impossible) to train a horse to will a magic item on, and apply ST to it (ST cost would probably be proportional to horse's ST/10), and even them, might tend to be an uncertain proposition.

c.1) ... use a self-powered and always-on double-size Speed Movement item? (So the horse doesn't have to will it on, nor use ST to power it.)

The item might have to be made with a horse in mind, but then yes, though I think you'd have to train it, as in a) above.

... If any of these *does* work, I assume there would be no further bonus to the damage done by the rider (or against rider or horse) above that on AM pp. 30-31.

That ruling would help balance, but logic and physics argue that it should do damage related to speed, though probably not multiplied. The DX penalty to hit would probably be greater too, particularly without training.

Also, I note that if you tried this in GURPS with a GM who knew all the rules, you could get yourself in a lot of trouble by failing to leave yourself enough room to stop or turn around before hitting things, or if something bad happens to your horse and it falls.

It reminds me of the time I tried a joke arena combat with an "Exalted Horse" (don't ask) against a troll or something in GURPS, and it was the horse's player's first time moving a horse in GURPS, and got it going so fast on its charge to action that it sailed straight past and plowed into the back wall of the arena! Oh no... Crunch!

PvK