Re: (TFT) Turbo-destriers?

In a message dated 2/16/2004 12:31:44 PM Central Standard Time,
mtapley@swri.edu writes:

>    Can a warhorse (in barding, Expert Horseman knight riding) ...
>
>a) ... take advantage of a Speed Movement spell (cast, presumably, by
>a nearby wizard) to get twice the MA? (Maybe double-strength spell
>version?)

I'd allow this w/o problems. By-the-book it would take a double-St spell, but
I house-ruled that away (IMC, double St is required only for spells affecting
4+ hex creatures, triple St for 9+ hexes, 4x St for 16+ hexes, etc.)

>b) ... gain +4 MA by drinking a Speed Movement potion (or two)? (Of
>course, you can lead a horse to a potion trough....)

I'd allow this too, although as you suggest there might be a problem getting
the horse to drink the potion.

>c) ... use a double-size Speed Movement magic item?

Not in my campaign. I don't allow animal-intelligence critters to "will"
items on or to spend St to power items.

>c.1) ... use a self-powered and always-on double-size Speed Movement
>item? (So the horse doesn't have to will it on, nor use ST to power
>it.)

This would work, IMC, but would be expensive. Not because it requires a
double-sized item (although I might require an item of un-doubled cost made
specifically for horses & horse-kin.) Rather, the expense is due to "standard" speed
movement items costing 2 St to use IMC, and reducing the St required to zero
would increase the cost by 100x (10x to reduce to 1 St, 100x to reduce to 0 St)

>    If any of these *does* work, I assume there would be no
>further bonus to the damage done by the rider (or against rider or
>horse) above that on AM pp. 30-31.

I wouldn't give any further damage bonus. Even if I did give a bonus for
"ordinary" extra speed, I wouldn't for speed from Speed Movement magic. As I
conceptualize it, the spell works in part by reducing the character's momentum. (In
fact, I might even require a horse under Speed Movement to move twice as far
as normal to get the ordinary extra damage for mounted movement.)

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow