Re: (TFT) My new TFT Web Site

Cool!

A couple of comments/questions wrt the Khazad-Dum scenario:

1) Gandalf should have 4-hex or 7-hex fire! Not that he used it in the book at *that* battle, but he did use (something like that) on the Wargs. That could make holding a bridge a lot easier until the Balrog shows up at that bridge. Imagine: Troll drops bridge into place, then Gandalf sets the *whole length* of it afire. Sam waits to finish off whatever singed remnants make it across. 2) Is Gandalf -4 DX with Glamdring? He might merit an exception to the Wizards/weapons rule. 3) "Slippery Floor" is a spell that I'll bet Gandalf would have enjoyed. I can't think of any precedent in the books, but still... and that spell on a bridge could be particularly nasty. 4) Gandalf appears to know 17 spells on an IQ of 16, in addition to the ones I suggest. I'd boost his IQ.

5) You allow Legolas Missile Weapons, you might allow Gimli Thrown Weapons and at least one spare throwable Ax/mace type weapon. In support of this, you might have some or all of the orcs carry hammers or hatchets or something Gimli can ready/throw in a single turn, when he is standing beside the body of a fallen orc. 6) You might make Gimli's Battle Ax Fine +1 or Fine +2 (not magic). (cf. his complaining about getting it notched, later at Helm's Deep.) 7) Of the four main fighters (Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli), you have rated Gimli the weakest (by 3-4 points). I'd vote him a few more points of DX, so he can effectively make Sweeping Blows with his Axe. With that and Iron Flesh from Gandalf, he could hold the sharp end of a bridge for a pretty good while.

(can you tell I'm a dwarf sympathizer?)

8) Legolas might merit the Running talent, in view of the chase in book 2.

9) Trolls may be stupid, but they hate fire. I think they probably should be subject to the 2-hex fear of the Balrog, a "creature of fire".

Strategy questions:
What happens if:

1) Fellowship swarms to the edge of the fire crevice, and holds the near side until the Balrog appears (Gandalf saves strength, Legolas kills archers, trolls neutralized on bridges by Defending Hobbits).

2) Gandalf and Legolas go after the Balrog with lightning and arrows. If he gets close, Gimli throws axe, getting large-target DX bonus.

3) When Balrog dies, Fellowship falls back behind Merry and Pippin, who just do Disengage-Disengage-Disengage-retreat across bridge. Legolas finishes off Goblin archers. Endgame is for Merry and Pippin to disengage out door, following others.

How does this fail? It looks to me as though the fellowship has the resources to win most times. All they have to do is kill the Balrog and get out? Gandalf should do about 70 points with a 21-ST lightning, leaving just 30 for Legolas to finish off at 1.5/shot (average). That's just 5 turns for Legolas. Surely the others can dodge, defend and disengage to keep the orcs and trolls busy that long? After that, it's just getting out the door.

Actually, if I'm right, the Fellowship could just hold the stone bridges until Legolas finishes off *everyone* but the trolls, then swarm them. But that would take a while, and a limitless supply of arrows for Legolas.

--
					- Mark
			210-522-6025, page 888-733-0967