Re: (TFT) Critical Spell Failures

In a message dated 2/22/2004 7:48:11 AM Central Standard Time,
johnnyboytmm@juno.com writes:

>      At least for heros, I sort of like the 17 drop, 18 break rules in TFT
as written.
> Generally every 2 or 3 sessions someone drops or breaks a weapon. (yes,
there
> is alot of combat in my game) Just often enough to keep things interesting,

> without being too annoying.

Mileage varies. I used that rule for a long time, and I (and my players)
*did* find it annoying - the game felt like a slapstick comedy, rather than
anything heroic. Worse, it made the equipment feel "cheap" and disposable, unless it
was specially exempt from the "break on 18" rule.

Besides, I had the example of HERO, which used 3d6 to hit with *no*
criticals, fumbles, automatic hits, or automatic misses (except for some optional rules
thrown in as an obvious sop). I followed that example, and now the only thing
resembling a critical or fumble in my game is a rule that weapons especially
vulnerable to breakage (e.g. improvised quarterstaves) will break on a roll of
'3' (while still hitting and doing normal damage, of course).

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow