Re: (TFT) Critical Spell Failures

In a message dated 2/22/2004 6:30:19 PM Central Standard Time, pvk@oz.net
writes:

> Do consider though that a 5-second attack may involve several swings,
> parries, weapon on weapon strikes in ways it's not supposed to happen, and
> possibly things like accidentally hitting stone, burying a blade in soft
> wood or something and getting stuck, having someone's body weight applied
> to the weapon in a bad way, etc. A weapon can be lost in one try if the
> right abuse is applied to it.

Of course. Combat use is going to be very hard use (and abuse) of a weapon.
It wouldn't be fair for me to take the lifetime of a carefully-used &
maintained tool as a direct measure of a weapon's lifetime.

But even after I took all the possible mischances of combat into account, I
still concluded that "breaks on a roll of 18" is utterly bogus for anything
other than a "disposable" weapon.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow