Re: (TFT) How many licks does it take...

Well, firstly, I don't entirely approve of "break on 18". As David pointed out, fine weapons break less often. Practically any serious modern weapon would be of Fine quality, as is mentioned in GURPS. Moreover, there is a flaw in not including wielder skill. I think the GURPS system is pretty good, which takes skill into account in the initial chances of a fumble check (or critical hit), which then results in a check on another table, where the most common result is "no special effect". There are then many possible fumbles, only rarely a weapon break, and several of those results are dependant on the type of weapon, type of attack, and/or weapon quality.

However, I have noticed many players lamenting when a critical check is made, and nothing special happens. Most I've seen have enjoyed the unexpected situations.

GURPS also allows attacking opponents' weapons directly. The rule assigns a to-hit penalty, allows a defense, and then it depends on the weapon and the relative quality between the two weapons, what happens. I think this works ok except my house rules give a passive defense modifier to the weapon-holder, which seems to me an error in the GURPS rules. That is, even if you hit the weapon, I give a good chance (increased by defender's skill) that it doesn't hit it in a way that will have any chance of breaking it.

So, to specifically answer your question, no, your hypothetical weapon attack rule is flawed in that defender's skill, and weapon type and quality aren't taken into account - you don't have any chance for it to fail except if the attacker misses, with no penalty to hit. But I'd say it should be difficult and unlikely even for a skilled attacker, but possible.

There's an example of such an optional rule in one of the Interplays, if memory serves, mainly about trying to break polearms with two-handed swords.

PvK