Re: (TFT) How often should TFT swords Break

In a message dated 4/2/2004 10:21:33 PM Central Standard Time, pvk@oz.net
writes:

> My observation is that although infrequent, they did occur enough to
> be something that happens sometimes. Not the 1/100,000 or less chance
> you seem to think is appropriate.

For the record, that "1/100,000 or less chance" is for specially good
weapons. In the last incarnation of this can o' worms, I wrote in response to a post
by Rick Smith:

#Actually, I agree with you that cheap piece-of-shit weapons should break on
#an 18. I don't consider the standard TFT weapons to be "cheap" - but that's
#something that could be justified either way. My major beef is with the way
that
#non-cheap weapons (however defined in TFT terms) have close to the same
#chance
#of breaking: +1 "fine" weapons have fully 50% as much chance of breaking,
#despite costing 10 times more, and +2 have 17% as much chance of breaking
#despite
#costing 20 times more. I don't think that this is nearly enough of a
#distinction.
#
#>     Now I happen to think that a sword
#> breaking 1/216 times (1/1296 for a good fine
#> blade) is FAR closer to realism than the
#> 1/1,000,000 number you mentioned a while ago.
#
#There's straw in that argument - I also mentioned a 1/100,000 and a 1/10,000

#number. In fact, my bess guestimate of the real chance of breakage is
#somewhere between those two numbers for a non-piece-of-shit sword.

What set off this current round is your claim that

: However I think that increasing the chance to 1/36 confirmation on an 18
: should be about the extreme. Requiring a second 18 after an 18, should only

: be for things that are supposed to be almost really impossible to destroy.

Whereas I think that if conformation rolls are used, they should run out to 4
or so additional dice at the top end, and then be capped with a
quasi-mystical (or outright magical) "Immunity to Breaking."

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow