Re: (TFT) A Problem of Time and Distance in Melee/TFT

From: Peter von Kleinsmid <pvk@oz.net>

It's true that if you run sideways through the hex grain, you can pass through two megahexes for every 5 hexes of movement, but not if you are following the megahexes, as you must do on a map using megahexes that has megahex-wide corridors, which is what is being discussed when ITL talks about 4-meter megahexes on page 21. I think this would still be my reading

This reminds me of another question I have never found the answer to. How tall is a Hex. And consequently how tall is a mega hex. That is to say, is a giant 3 hexes tall or only 1? But that aside, your figures above are even more accurate to the spirit of TFT. Let's see what this relationship yeilds.

   5 hexes to traverse 2 mega hex
   5h = 8m
   and we get the new number of
   1.6m per hex.

P.S. I did find one other reference under Tunneling (ITL 45): "There are 150cm of rock in each hex." I'm not really sure what to make of that. It seems inconsistent and probably either wrong, or with some fudgey meaning since it is talking about tunneling.

Oh yeah. 150cm. <laughs nervously and looks emberrased> That must have been what I meant by 1.5m to a hex. I was thinking in tunneling terms.

All joking aside. How tall is a hex. What exactly is the volume in cubic meters. It is moments like this when I am reminded of how many times people on this news group have mentioned things like "I don't use hexes", or "I use a ruler and measure movement in inches."

   David Michael Grouchy II