Re: (TFT) Dinosaurs for TFT

>Is Tyrannasaurus really smaller than Triceratops in terms of
hexes?

No but T-Rex was an upright standing dinosaur so he would cover
less area on a map (aka Giants) if he was laid out he would
actually be larger than the Triceratops

>Seems to me that Triceratops would have a very serious armor
rating
>from the front hexes (probably more that 6 vs. the base 3), unless
>you manage to hit a vulnerable part of the face.

Probably correct but the frill on a Triceratops was fairly light
bone (lots of air holes vs dense bone) with large areas that were
fairly thin. It was probably more for display than defense.

>Also I think if you are dealing with humans or other smaller
>combatants versus the upright giants such as T-Rex, you might
>want rules for what happens when they fall down. That is, I expect
>if a T-Rex dies while standing up, that it will fall in an
>unpredictable direction and might crush things that are nearby
>but not necessarily in the hexes it was standing in.

Agreed

>They look good and appropriate to me, though my detailed dino-
>knowledge is weak. You've sparked my interest though. I wonder
>about the high MA of the larger herbivores.

Again you have to think of large herbivores of today to figure
movement, strength and dexterity. For them to live as many
millions of years as they did they had to have been very good at
what they did.

>Dan makes good points. A lover of detailed rules myself, I would
>say that some are in order here. Specifically, I'd think about:
>
>* Big dinos attacking big dinos might get a major bonus to hit,
>  or conversely, a serious penalty to hit smaller targets. Maybe.

Yes I also believe that a small target attacking a huge target is
almost garaunteed a hit.

>* Inertia rules for big dinos running into things when they die,
>  clutz up, or on purpose. Some of those herbivores at high
>  speed would have massive kinetic energy.

And when you are talking about several tons smashing into you
might just get an ouchee.

>* As Dan mentioned, damage, at least to smaller targets, by
>  massive tails.

As noted

>* A re-look at the TFT engagement rules, perhaps making them
>  more detailed for many-hex creatures, if necessary.

Creatures this large would not be engaged easily unless the
opponents take up several hexes in the same way, or there are so
many as to slow them down. I see the battle scene in front of
Minas Tirith between the Rohirrim and Oliphants from the south as
a good example of what we are talking about.(Lord of the Rings -
Return of the King)

>* A re-look at the Shift maneuver for very large creatures.

Maybe but like above I think it is covered in ITL, AW, AM and
probably doesnt need much tweaking if any.

>* Maybe some behavior rules. At IQ 3 and enormous size, their
>  tactical behavior is a very important factor. There should
>  be a big difference in the sophistication and variety of
>  their combat moves compared to, say, a dragon.
The IQ 3 is basically straight from the GURPS book and I am not
real sure I agree with it. Most everything would be herd type
mentallity though very little sophistication involved-
1 if it is big enough to eat you run.
2 if it is faster than you dodge
3 if it faster and more agile than you go where it cant
4 if all else fails fight, preferably with help
5 if that fails be eaten

>If you make counters, I hope you post them somewhere. 8-D

Will be on the website

>Thanks for sharing - this is good stuff, even just to read.

Your most Welcome!
>PvK
>=====

Robert Morger