RE: (TFT) Prehistoric Creatures Round 2

From: Mark Tapley <mtapley@swri.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 21:53:38 -0500

>Sorry about the previous post's name, you can tell I'm on digest
mode...

>Generally speaking, these are great, Robert!
>
>Two quibbles:
>
>At 21:48 -0400 5/27/04, TFT Digest wrote:
>>ARGENTAVIS	SIZE	9+	ST	15-25	DX	12	IQ
>>	4	MA	4/28	ARMOR	-1	BITE/BUTT	1d
>>	CLAW/KICK	0	TRAMPLE	0
>>Largest flying bird size of ostrich w/27' wingspread, predator
>>not scavanger
>
>Dunno what this guy's mass is, but he's going to have trouble
>feeding himself if he can't do more than 1d damage. He'll have to
>eat a whole lot of little somethings. I'd sort of expect him to
>eat a smaller number of bigger things, but that would imply an
>attack (talon?) with more than 1d damage.

I'll check into it I probably left somthing off this one this has
been done over the last week with many stops along the way I am
finding there is a bunch of little things that got dropped along
the way.

>Second quibble is that I'm not sure I agree with the IQ3 rating.
>Modern herbivores aren't that stupid - horses can go IQ7. Game
>reptiles aren't that stupid - dragons and reptile men can go
>arbitrarily high IQ. Don't see why dinos should be that stupid.
In
>any case, practically no carnivores rate that stupid.
>--
>					- Mark
Oh I agree whole-heartedly as I said these (the IQ's) were taken
directly from the GURPS DINOSAURS AND OTHER PREHISTORIC CREATURES
book without any interpretation I haven't looked to see if the IQ
level in GURPS is the same as that in TFT. It probably isn't since
there seems to be a large difference in:

ST (I found that HT more closely resembled TFT ST and used this
for the most part but there were several of them that didnt fit
this rule and needed additional tweaking(Guesstimates),

DX (it had to be toned down in the dinosaurs -1 to -2, but was
about the same for the mammals),

MA (GURPS uses speed and dodge instead of MA but I found if you
took the speed number, and doubled it if it was <10, or added 10
to it if it was >10 it seemed to make more sense in TFT terms)
there was additional tweaking involved though.

So I imagine the IQs probably should be raised by one or two each
to more closely match up with TFT, but I still need to do the
homework and see how they relate.

>			210-522-6025, page 888-733-0967
Robert Morger
Pangaea_TFT Fantasy RPG adventure