(TFT) TFT in Space-- Starleader Assault

Greetings, TFT list members! I was wondering if anyone out there could answer a question about Metagaming's #3121, Starleader: Assault! MicroGame 21. I would like to know if Starleader Assault was based on Melee or TFT rules, and if so, how the system was adjusted for the far future setting. I also would like to know how the system was changed to justify it being a "Howard Thompson" game design, if anything about it sticks out in your mind.

I have run across a few mentions of Starleader, but have not seen it. I had exited from the active board gaming scene by 1982 when it was released. Interestingly, there was a TFT Science Fiction variant called "Martian Vanguard" published in Interplay #4 by Chad Brandt of Richmond, Virginia. This article described a well-developed conversion of the TFT rules for a Traveller-like setting. This was well before Starleader shipped. It was apparently close to the bone: the Interplay editor added a parenthetic comment that Martian Vanguard was not intended to be compatible with the forthcoming Starleader rules.

Evidently Starleader was to have a space ship combat microgame shortly after the point in time when Metagaming shut down. I can't imagine what it would have been likeanyone care to speculate?

Thanks,

Dave Peterson