Re: (TFT) Illusions vs. summoning

In a message dated 10/25/2004 12:40:55 PM Central Standard Time,
Greg.Thorne@sas.com writes:

>I think that I've heard it said that if your wizard is going to create an
illusion, that
>an octopus armed with 3 bastard swords is the best bang for the buck.  But
it
>would seem that if an octopus suddenly appeared, then the opposing side
would
>automatically know that it was an image or an illusion.  Depending on the
>situation, that seems like a huge disadvantage.
>
>Which leads to my question, has anyone thought about what would be fair
stats
>for a Summon Octopus spell?

No walking octopi in my game, so the question wouldn't arise. But if I *did*
have walking octopi, I'd tone down the "three weapons" bit just a touch -
limit a St 20 octopus to two or three weapons having a total required St of no
more than 30. Thus two bastard swords & a shield, but not three bastard swords.
(This matches my own two-weapons house rule - the St limit for human-type
characters is a combined required St of no more than 6 pts above the character's
St.)

Given this, I'd rate a Summon Octopus as being better than a Summon Gargoyle,
and maybe just a bit better than Summon Giant. So IQ  14 or 15, St cost 4+1.
The lower IQ would be if you freely allowed oddball summoning spells.

--
Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow