Re: (TFT) Waste of time?

From: Mark Tapley <mtapley@swri.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:37:35 -0600

>I think one fundamental problem you'll have to address is how to
>introduce high technology into the game.
>
>Skills, Medieval hardware, and wizard-cast spells are all based
on
>the attributes of the user, so the strength of a character in a
>situation is tied to how experienced that character is (in terms
of
>total number of character points). Granted some combinations of
>points are better than others for any given situation, but that
just
>gives the player interesting choices to make.
>
>Technology, somewhat similar to magic items, gives characters
>advantages that tie only to their fortunes (in terms either of
money,
>or of the referee rewarding their endeavours with lucky
discoveries).
>So it's easier to unbalance a game with technological artifacts.
As I
>point out, this issue already exists with magic items; the new
>challenge for a high-tech game would be creating a finance
system
>that ranks the cool technology piece costs somewhat equivalent
>their utility in the game. That might end up taking a fair
amount of
>playtesting.
>--
Actually I probably wouldnt have to set up a monetary system for
what I am thinking about doing. Due to the fact that you are
working for the government equpment is furnished along with three
square a day. I think the toughest part of doing this would be
setting up equipment and skill sets to go with them, and possibly
integrating psionics into the talents list.

I dont see where the technology level will be that hard to work
around. A human is a human is a human doesnt matter if they wear
chainmail and swing a sword or are in some type of synthetic
armor firing a blaster when they are out of hitpoints there
dead.

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net