Re: Re: (TFT) Doing damasge modernly

From: <dwtulloh61@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:39:45 -0500

>> From: pvk@oz.net
>> Date: 2004/12/01 Wed PM 02:59:32 EST
>> To: tft@brainiac.com
>> CC: tft@brainiac.com
>> Subject: Re: Re: (TFT) Doing damasge modernly

>We've been wrestling with that phenomenon for awhile in
>our professional wargames.  There was an episode of "The
>FBI Files" that dealt with this phenonmenon as well. Two bank
robbers were in a shootout with the FBI, the robbers
>took several hits that were fatal but not immediately so
>and wound up killing several officers before they died.
>
>Doesn't "Stopping Power" refer to the ability of a round
>to put a man down and keep him there?

On the subject of stopping power I went through and read a ton of
articles dealing with pistol caliber before I bought my last
handgun. (ended up getting a 44 magnum stopping power wasnt an
issue :)
Anyway one of the articles was talking about how weak the 38
caliber handgun was and how most law enforcement agencies needed
to change to 9mm, 40 caliber etc. There were 27 case studies
included all from New York City where law enforcement officials
had used 38 calibers in some type of shooting that illustrated
just how bad the 38 really was.

One of these really stood out from the others. A task group broke
down the door into a building of a suspected drug distribution
manufacturing facility. Gunfire ensued one officer kicked in a
interior door that had an assailant behind it the assailant raised
a handgun to fire on the officer, but the officer was quicker and
fired point blank into the perps face from approximately 5 feet
away. The perp kept coming so the officer unloaded all five rounds
into the perps face, all of them hit from less than five feet
distance. The perp went down the officer kicked his weapon away
from him thinking him dead, as they continued to clear the
drughouse.
About fifteen minutes later after weapons have been secured and
the remainder of the perps rounded up and shackled, this guy who
had been shot 5 times pointblank in the head gets up and proceeds
to attack one of the cops on location. Needless to say he was
quickly apprehended and put down. When he was examined later it
was found that everyone of the five rounds that were emptied into
his head had traveled just below the skin and exited out the back
of his head, not one of them had penetrated the bone or done more
than cause a minor fracture. The drug enforcement officer switched
to a 9mm the next day not only does it have a greater carry
capacity but much better stopping power.

The ammo the officer was using was checked and it performed almost
exactly as it was spec'd to the only difference from the spec was
the lead was slightly harder than was intended. They think this
may have been the cause of the problem as the bullets didn't
deform enough to cause the shock needed to stop the perp.
Personally I think the perp just had a harder head than most.
:)

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net