Re: (TFT) Doing damasge modernly

>Regarding bullets, tissue damage goes with cross sectional
>momentum, while actual penetration goes with cross sectional
>kinetic energy. So a big heavy slow bullet is effective against
>tissue, but not very good against armour.

As far as penetration goes, but unless you are talking about a
modern type of armor that absorbs the kinetic force, AKA kevlar
vest or similar, then the kinetic energy is spent in a direct
force blow, AKA being hit by a sledge hammer or mace at full swing.
Which can kill you every bit as dead as the bullet penetrating and
bleeding you out.

That is one of the reasons armor died when guns became more common.

>A small fast light round is better against armour but lacks
>stopping power.

See above. The reason the 22 is used so frequently for "hits"
besides being cheap, light, easy to conceal and very common. Is
that the bullet usually has enough energy to enter a skull but not
enough to exit it, plenty to bounce around several times in the
cavity.

<Of course, bullet construction is important too. A soft lead
<round is useless against any decent hard armour, while an AP
<round can make even an anemic cartridge a decent penetrator.

Again it depends on how well that armor spreads the kinetic force
on impact.

Robert Morger
Pangaea_TFT Fantasy RPG adventure
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pangaea_TFT/