Re: (TFT) Doing damage modernly in the magical world of cidri

At 02:21 PM 12/3/04 +0000, you wrote:
I am a big playability fan in the playability VS realism debate.

I have a couple of suggestions to your list from the realism side, which hopefully wouldn't hurt the playability side. I'd be curious to hear your reaction.

Damage something like

Light pistol - 2 dice
Heavy pistol - 2+3
Shotgun 3+3
Rifle  4dice

How about increasing the dice and adding a minus, to allow the chance for grazing hits, flesh wounds, as well as critical hits, such as:

Light pistol   - 2d-4 x2
Heavy pistol   - 3d-5 x2
Shotgun (shot) - 6d-8 or 1d x 1d, armor doubled
Shotgun (slug) - 4d-6 x2
Rifle          - 4d-7 x2

For military rifles that have an intermediate setting, firing off 3 or 4 bullets per trigger pull, and designed to do so without dramatically reducing accuracy, I'd just double the damage and again do away with the second shot.

How about for multiple bullets that might hit from the same gun, double the damage but also the armor?

I might also change the SHOCK rules in TFT for modern weapons to weaken them. Essentially if you take 5 pts from a modern gun before your attack, you get this round's attack BEFORE the minus to dex, it affects your next rounds attack, rather than the immediate attack the way melee damage does. I'd still have 8 points drop you immediately, but I want to give the big ax weilding barbarian some small chance to bash the guy who just shot him in the gut with a pistol.

The "5 damage for -2 DX" rule doesn't remove the small chance for the axeman to chop the pistol guy - it just makes it a little harder if he gets shot. No?

PvK