Re: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #637

At 03:36 PM 12/5/04 -0500, Sethkimmel@aol.com wrote:
tft-owner@brainiac.com writes:

> I agree an officer should be cleared to draw and
> point his weapon at a swordsman, but if the swordsman doesn't advance, the
> officer shouldn't shoot him... unless you're saying, and are correct, that
> he really can't afford to let someone inside 21 feet, even if he's already
> got his gun levelled at him.

Yeah; that's what patrol supervisor's (Sgt's. and Lt.'s) are for; to control
and investigate these situations. I don't know about the West coast, but the
investigation for an officer involved shooting in NY is quite involved. I must
admit however if I were the investigating patrol supervisor and the bad guy
had a sword, I'd tend believe the officer who shot said knucklehead. He/she just
has to be able to justify "was in immediate fear for my life or a third
party's life" to me.

Sure. I did a little investigating, and haven't found much to support my
hasty statement about the Seattle Police vs. Swords. I expect it was more
the fault of the local news' way of reporting the incident, which tends to
be sensationalist and hyper in ways that can get everyone worked up until
they realize it's the stupid reporting that is the main issue.

PvK