Re: (TFT) Marauder Power Suit.

At 11:16 AM 12/6/04 -0600, rmorger wrote:
ST 22, FT 22, DX 12, IQ 10, PA 2d6 MA 12 hits stopped per armor
rules, weapons as per weapons list all energy weapons at 1d6 less
damage than human weapons.

All 4 of these characters would be 1.5 hex creatures.

FT = fatigue capacity?
PA = what?
What's a 1.5 hex creature? 1-hex but 1.5 x weight of equipment, spell costs, etc?

I tend to think one might want to use a different hex scale for high-tech combat, since the weapons tend to have a lot more range. At least megahexes rather than hexes, I'd think, unless in a really close space.

As for my usual realism-oriented thoughts (which I label as such to encourage others to ignore if they please):

I also thought of bugs as more like megahex-or-larger, which would make them big targets. As I recall, they were also described as very tough, meaning higher armor and/or damage capacity and/or multiple target locations with different effects for them being taken out, much like the powered armor might have. Seems like ST 22 for a skinny might make it strangely hard to kill when unarmored, again depending on what your damage numbers are like.

The book's (and the AH game's) description of powered armor was that their suits made them a more than a match for a "squadron" of tanks. Nearly invulnerable, nearly flying, huge strength, precision, and a stockpile of weapons which could take out groups and buildings at once, not to mention tactical nuclear weapons.

Yet the bugs were still a challenge, and considered quite tough, and not because of massive numbers as in the semi-recent film.

However, the numbers I see suggested range from top-end TFT strengths, to perhaps slightly above 20th Century values. The bugs just mentioned don't look much tougher than big TFT Hymenopterrans, for example.

And if we can agree that 20th Century firearms have better penetration than say a 14th Century crossbow (average 10.5 points, so an assault rifle might be at least more like average 20, firing three such shots per trigger pull), then armor values like: