Re: (TFT) Experimental Injury and Healing rules - comments appreciated.

In a message dated 12/27/2004 2:34:34 PM Central Standard Time, pvk@oz.net
writes:

>* I'm all for players finding the rules they like to play with, so I
>wouldn't discourage him from playing without the DX penalties for injury.
>
>* My own tastes however are quite the opposite. I find it extremely
>unsatisfying when a game system gives essentially zero effect to non-lethal
>damage in all cases.

And to mirror what you said, I'm all for players using the sort of rules they

like to play with, and if you find it unsatisfying when a game system doesn't
give penalties to "partly wounded" characters, then I wouldn't want to
discourage you from using them.

However, it's one of my pet peeves when gamers justify such rules as being
"more realistic" when in fact they are NOT more realistic.

You say:

> * While I agree that in some cases serious injuries can be shrugged off or
> ignored, I think those tend to be the surprising exceptions rather than the

> typical result. Certainly it is also true that battered people and even
> light injuries can and do often take people "out of action" or at least
> make it more difficult to keep fighting immediately at 100%.

I use to think that myself, but I've been convinced otherwise. When it
comes to real fights - especially life-and-death fights - I've been
convinced that such results are the rule rather than the "surprising
exception." Or rather, they're only the surprising exception in those
cases where an *fatally* injured person (negative St, in TFT terms)
fights at full effectiveness for a brief time before dropping dead.